Business hours: 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday-Friday; 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., Saturday; CLOSED, Sunday
Cheney, Deutsch, Freeborn, and Putnam Halls; Christian and Slottman Minisuites
The Unit 1 complex consists of six buildings built around a large courtyard. A central building contains the unit office, mail services, and rooms for meetings, events, and parties, as well as the Academic Services Center.
- Located one block from campus.
Four of the six buildings are high-rise halls (Cheney, Deutsch, Freeborn, and Putnam) that feature:
- Eight floors of double- and triple-occupancy rooms, some doubles and triples in suite. (Single rooms are reserved for upper division students and students with accommodations.)
- Approximately 230 students in each hall.
- Rooms with extra-long twin beds, dressers, desks, mirrors, and closets.
- Rooms with high-speed Internet connections.
- Some rooms have a bay view.
- Most floors are all gender with one large all-gender bathroom per floor.
- Single-gender floors are available.
- Floor lounges with balconies.
- Main lounge on entry level.
- Freeborn Hall is designated as a Substance-Free Environment (see below).
- The mini-suite buildings, Christian and Slottman Halls, feature:
- All- and single-gender floors
- Single, double, and triple rooms; double rooms and triple rooms in suite (Single rooms are reserved for upper division students and students with accommodations.)
- Double & triple room minisuites
- Triple rooms include a bunk bed & a lofted bed
- Live-in staff
- Security Monitor Program
- Laundry facilities
- Access to the Unit's Academic Services Center, with PC and MAC workstations, laser printers, and hookup to the campus network and the internet
- Access to a small, central fitness facility
- Crossroads is the nearest dining center, only a half-block away
Freeborn Hall: Substance-Free Environment
Freeborn Hall, one building in the Unit 1 complex, is designated as a Substance-Free Environment. Residents actively agree to keep the community free of smoke, alcohol, and drugs. They plan and host substance-free programs, events, and activities.
Disabled Students' Readiness Program (DSRP)
The DSRP is sponsored by the University and the State Department of Rehabilitation. The program provides students with experienced staff to assist with personal care while students are developing their independent-living skills. The Housing Office works closely with the DSRP to accommodate students with accommodations. Some residence hall rooms are modified for mobility, hearing, and sight-impaired students.
No Smoking Policy
UC Berkeley is committed to providing a healthy, smoke-free environment for students, faculty, and staff. Accordingly, no smoking is permitted in student rooms or inside buildings, including lounges, balconies and breezeways, and stairways. Smoking is only permitted outside in designated areas.