What to Bring to Your Residence Hall
Wondering about what you need to bring? Each room is furnished with desks, beds, drawers, and shelf space. The rest is up to you. Here's a list of items that students have found useful. You won’t need everything on this list; check with your roommate(s) to see what they're bringing — you don't want to end up with three mini refrigerators!
As you work on packing things for your room, there are some other helpful things to do before you arrive or early in the semester to make your life easier once school starts. For instance, make sure you have access to a local bank (FYI, Bank of the West, the official bank of UC Berkeley, has a branch on campus and convenient ATM locations*), check that your immunizations are current, and confirm that you have a meal plan that meets your needs.
*UC Berkeley students are not required to have a Bank of the West account to use any aspect of their Cal 1 Card student ID, including the Cal 1 Card debit feature.
- Alarm clock
- Bath towels
- Bed sheets (twin extra-long)
- Bicycle and bike lock
- Desk lamp (not Halogen) and CFL/LED lightbulbs
- Ear plugs
- Ethernet cable
- Extension cord/power strip
- First aid kit with a thermometer
- Laundry basket
- Lock for bathroom locker
- Mattress pad
- Microwave (Allowed only when ordered from UC Berkeley's approved vendor, and it will be placed in your room before you move in.)
- Mini dry-erase board
- Mini refrigerator (Allowed only when ordered from UC Berkeley's approved vendor, and it will be placed in your room before you move in.)
- Music player/stereo system
- Plates, cups, silverware
- Power strip
- Prescription or ongoing medications for one month and a copy of your prescription. Plan ahead for refills.
- Reusable grocery bags
- Reusable water bottle
- School supplies (backpack, notebooks, binders, paper, pencils, pens, erasers, ruler, etc.)
- Shower basket
- Shower shoes/sandals
- Telephone (It's good to have access to a landline in case of emergencies!)
- Thumbtacks (for walls)
- Water filter/pitcher
*Look for the Energy Star logo.
- Candles or incense
- Decorative string lights
- Electric cooking implements (anything with coils)
- Extra furniture and bulky items (wait until you've settled in and had a chance to determine what you really need)
- Halogen lights
- Microwave (You can order a refrigerator and microwave for your room!)
- Refrigerator (You can order a refrigerator and microwave for your room!)
- Satellite dishes
- Toasters, toaster ovens, hot plates