Amenities & Necessities

Beyond the basic amenities, Peer Advising and Faculty-in-Residence are available to provide academic support, and help create a sense of community.

Residence Hall Peer Advising

Residence Hall Peer Advisors support and advise Summer Session students on course planning, college requirements, majors, and more. Peer Advisors provide drop-in advising in the Academic Center, e-mail advising, and are available by appointment. The Residence Hall Peer Advising program is an important resource to help students succeed at Cal.


The Resident Faculty program allows UC Berkeley tenure-track faculty to integrate themselves into student life and provide support for students by living alongside them in the residence halls. While the program promotes academic achievement, Resident Faculty members also create an inclusive and comfortable community that encourages personal growth and development.

Resident faculty facilitate interaction and intellectual growth in a more personal environment, such as organizing field trips and hosting fun informal seminars. The professors eat in the dining commons with students and attend student-run events, programs and residence hall staff meetings. Through this program, students are given the rare opportunity for personal growth by getting to know a member of the UC Berkeley faculty and having access to a mentor in a non-classroom setting.

Room Furnishings

Your room is furnished with an extra-long bed, 36" x 80" mattress, drapes, desk, chair, wastebasket, closet, and shelving. Please leave all items in your room when you check out. You will be billed for any missing items after your departure.

Students can participate in the Linen Exchange program and purchase a linen rental packet for the duration of their summer session. Linen packet includes 2 sheets, blanket, top blanket, pillow, pillowcase, body towel, and face towel. 

During their stay, students can switch out their dirty linens for new ones once a week.

Linen Rental Pricing:
8-12 weeks = $85 total
3-6 weeks = $60 total

Laundry & Vending Machines

Coin-operated laundry machines are located on the 2nd, 6th and 8th floors of each Unit 2 Residence Hall building.

Laundry rooms are located on the ground floors of Maximino Martinez Commons and Channing Bowditch.

Snack and beverage vending machines are located on the ground floors of each Unit 2 Residence Hall building.


Your will receive your room number when you check in.

Your mail should be addressed as follows if you are living in Maximino Martinez Commons:

(Your Name)
Summer Sessions
Building Name and Room Number
Maximino Martinez Commons
2520 Channing Way
Berkeley, CA 94720

Your mail should be addressed as follows if you are living in the Unit 2 Residence Halls:

(Your Name)
Summer Sessions
Building Name and Room Number
Unit 2 Residence Halls
2650 Haste Street
​Berkeley, CA 94720

Your mail should be addressed as follows if you are living in Channing Bowditch Apartments:

(Your Name)
Summer Sessions
Building Name and Room Number
Unit 1 - Channing Bowditch
2650 Durant Avenue
​Berkeley, CA 94720

Academic Center

We know that access to computers during your stay is critical to academic success. All residents are eligible to use the Unit 2 Academic Center, featuring multiple PCs and Macintosh Workstations supporting popular software (i.e., Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.). These computers are also installed with a link to the campus library catalogs, email, and the Internet.

The Academic Center is located in the Central Building. Staff are available to answer questions and troubleshoot problems. You can sign up for a free Academic Center Account to use the computers.

Color ink jet printing is available for a nominal fee.

In-Room Internet Connections

A Student Technology Services welcome folder will be distributed to all residents at check-in. It will include information about getting online through Student Technology Services' services and support.

All residents are eligible for free wireless Internet connection through Student Technology Services. Student Technology Services provides wireless coverage to registered computers in resident rooms, lounges, and common areas. You will receive a Student Technology Services welcome folder during move-in, which will detail how to get connected and how to contact support services. Student Technology Services supports wireless internet connections for computers running Windows XP/Vista and Macintosh OS 10.4 or higher. Windows 95/98/Me and Mac OS 10.3 and below are not allowed on the network as they do not meet campus minimum security standards.

Security and Other Requirements

To connect to the network, you will need your CalNet login and passphrase for authentication.

All computers connected to the campus network MUST meet campus minimum security standards which require:

  • Updated antivirus software
  • Automatic software patching (e.g. Windows Update)
  • A personal firewall
  • A strong administrator password

For detailed information about the requirements and how to meet them, please visit Student Technology Services' BeSecure page.

Technical Support

Technical support is available in the following ways:

Helpdesk phone line: 510.642.HELP (4357)
Helpdesk email:
In-person Residential Computing Consultant: Make an appointment through Student Technology Services to see an in-person consultant during office hours.

Bear Necessities

You might want to bring these items to the residence halls:

  • A government-issued photo I.D.
  • Linen (bed sheets)
  • Pillows
  • Blankets
  • A cell phone 
  • An alarm clock
  • Clothes hangers
  • Laundry detergent
Microwaves and Refrigerators

Personal microwaves and refrigerators are not allowed in UC Berkeley residence hall rooms. 

Students who require a refrigerator unit for a medical condition or holiday observance are responsible for submitting an accommodation request to


You are responsible for cleaning your own room. You may borrow a vacuum cleaner from your Resident Assistant or the Front Desk. Daily housekeeping services are provided, except on administrative holidays, for the common areas: lounges, hallways, stairwells and bathrooms.

Prohibited Items

The following items are not permitted in the residence halls:

Pets, waterbeds, weapons of any kind, illegal drugs, candles, incense, flame-lit lamps, barbecues, halogen lamps, cooking equipment, your own microwaves and refrigerators.

(See Microwaves and Refrigerators for how to rent University-approved units). 

See the section about non-standard accommodations for information regarding service animals.