During winter break, most campus residence halls close and residents must leave the buildings. For those students moving out permanently at winter break, move-out instructions will be sent directly to you via email. In the meantime, here’s a summary of what you need to know if you’re planning to return in January.
Winter 2022-23 Closure Dates
- All residence halls, with the exception of Martinez Commons, will close on Saturday, December 17, 2022, by 10 a.m.
- Residents may move back into the halls beginning at 9 a.m. on Thursday, January 12, 2023.
Residents are not allowed to reside in buildings during semester break due to energy curtailment. However, residents are allowed to leave their belongings in the halls over the semester break at their own risk.
Residence Halls That Will Be Closed
These residence halls will be closed during winter break:
- Unit 1
- Unit 2
- Unit 3
- Blackwell Hall
- Clark Kerr
Buildings That Will Remain Open
The following buildings will remain open during winter break:
- Clark Kerr Apartments
- Enclave Apartments
- Martinez Commons Residence Hall and Apartments
- New Sequoia Apartments
- Panoramic Berkeley
- Wada Apartments
Before Winter Closure, You Need To Do the Following
Here is a summary of what you need to do before you leave for winter break.
- Turn off and unplug room lights, computers, alarm clocks, timers, televisions, power strips cords, etc., (but please do not unplug your refrigerator).
- Make sure your room is clean, vacuumed, and that all perishable food, and trash, is properly thrown away.
- Close windows, curtains, and lock your door.
- Take any medicine, important documents, valuables, with you, and secure your bicycle.
- Pick up your mail.
Every room will be inspected by Hall Staff after closing to ensure compliance with check-out procedures.
Residence Halls Reopen on Thursday, January 12, 2023
Have a safe winter break, and we look forward to seeing you on Thursday, January 12, 2023 when the halls will reopen.
If you have additional questions, please contact your Unit Office.