Move-In FAQs

These FAQs should answer most of your questions about arriving in Berkeley.

When may I move in?
  • August Move-In is Tuesday, August 20, 2019. If you are participating in one of the pre-approved programs, you will be sent information about moving in early on August 19.
  • Continuing students move in on August 25, 2019.
  • January Move-In for January Start students and spring residents is on January 16, 2020.
For August Move-In only: How do I select my Move-In time slot?

To select your Move-In time slot, please log in to the housing portal.

The deadline for freshmen students to select their Move-In time slot is June 15, and the deadline for transfer students to select their Move-In time slot is July 15.  

Students will be sent instructions on how to sign up for a Move-In time slot via email a few days before the deadline. 

We encourage you to select a time slot in advance of the deadline if possible. In situations when there are a high volume of users attempting to access the portal at the same time, there may be some delays.

If you have any questions, please contact the Housing Office at 510.642.4108 or at

May I move in on a different day?

For August and January Move-In, you may move in after the official Move-In day if needed. We strongly encourage all new students to move in on Move-In day so that you are able to enjoy the full benefits of Golden Bear Orientation, which includes programming that immediately follows Move-In.

If you are arriving late and need to request a partial or full exemption from Golden Bear Orientation, please review the process and deadlines.

For August Move-In, if you are one of the students participating in a pre-approved program, you will receive information about moving in early.

Where do I go on Move-In Day?

Students should plan to arrive during the Move-In time slot they signed up for. If you miss your Move-In time slot, you may be asked to come back later in the day or at the end of the day to move in.

For January Move-In, Check-In hours are 9 a.m.–8 p.m. If you are not able to arrive during this time, please go to the administrative office in your assigned building for instructions on how to proceed. Please be aware that you may have to wait for an on-duty staff member to assist you after the office is closed, and items (such as hand carts) will not be available after hours.

Street addresses for residence halls:

  • Unit 1 - 2650 Durant Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94720
  • Unit 2 - 2650 Haste Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94720
  • Unit 3 - 2400 Durant Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94720
  • Blackwell Hall - 2401 Durant Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94704
  • Channing-Bowditch - 2535 Channing Way, Berkeley 94720 (Go to the Unit 1 central building to check in.)
  • Clark Kerr - 2601 Warring Street, Berkeley, CA 94720
  • Foothill - 2700 Hearst Avenue, Berkeley, CA 94720
  • Garden Village - 2201 Dwight Way, Berkeley, CA 94704
  • Maximino Martinez Commons - 2520 Channing Way, Berkeley, CA 94720
  • New Sequoia - 2441 Haste Street, Berkeley, CA 94704
  • Stern - Hearst Avenue & Highland Place, Berkeley, CA 94709


What will parking be like?

For August 20 Move-In, please check the parking information for Move-In webpage for instructions on picking up your complimentary Move-In 4-hour parking permit, as well as general directions and residence hall street addresses. There will be an increase in traffic volume and congestion during Move-In. Four hours of complimentary parking in a nearby lot or garage will be allowed with your Move-In parking permit on display on your dashboard. Your assigned parking garage will be communicated with you upon arrival at your housing unit’s unloading area. 

For January Move-In, it is recommended that you park on the street or in a university parking lot. You will need to follow instructions to pay for parking in accordance with any parking meter or garage charges for the day and time that you arrive.

For August Move-In only: What if I arrive after my move-in time slot?

In order to ensure that all students moving into the residence halls are able to unload their belongings as quickly and efficiently as possible, we strongly encourage students to arrive during their pre-selected time slot. If for any reason you arrive after your time slot, Move-In staff will work with you to find another time. It is possible that you might have to wait until later in the day to move in.

What if I arrive after hours?

A limited number of staff are available after hours to help you. If you arrive after hours, you will be able to contact an on-duty staff person to come to the residence hall to assist you. Instructions for reaching the on-call residence hall staff are posted on the main door of the Unit office.

What happens if I leave my car parked past my Move-In parking permit time limit?

For your convenience, you will be issued a 4-hour parking permit at the start of your Move-In time slot. This will enable you to park near your residence hall while you are moving in. There is a twenty-minute unloading period close to the residence halls, with parking for the full four-hour period in nearby parking lots.

These university-owned parking lots and structures include Ellsworth, Underhill, Clark Kerr Campus, Dana/Durant, Bancroft, and Upper and Lower Hearst.

Please be sure not to park in front of the residence hall or in these lots outside of your 4-hour permit time. Unfortunately, cars without a valid permit, or a permit that is outside of its time slot, risk being cited and/or towed.

How do I get a parking permit for the semester or year?

Students are discouraged from bringing a car to campus. If a student brings a car to campus, he or she must contact Parking and Transportation about obtaining a parking permit.

How do I move my belongings?

The best way to get you and your belongings here is to have your parents or a friend bring you. Berkeley’s central location makes it accessible to most shipping companies. They vary in terms of what they will ship (electronics, bicycles, fragile items) and the maximum size and weight.

Some carriers will hold the items you ship for one or more days at a nominal charge. A few deliver directly to your hall. Be sure to allow time to arrange for getting your belongings from the shipping destination to your room. Reservations and/or prepayment may be required. Insurance may also be offered. Check what is available in your area.

We are unable to accept any packages arriving prior to move-in day, and we cannot allow shipping companies direct access to student spaces. You must be moved in and then give them access to your room following all guest guidelines.

As the parent (or relative, or friend) who assisted with moving in, can I spend the night in my student's residence hall?
No, you will need to stay at a hotel. Family members should make arrangements to stay in a hotel nearby the UC Berkeley campus, as they are not permitted to stay overnight with their students during move-in. See the Cal Rentals hotel list for more information. 


What's in my room?

Please see the My Room webpage for current details. 

Rooms are furnished with extra-long twin single beds and/or bunk beds, desks, chairs, and drawer space for each student. They also include closets, mirrors, wastebaskets, bookshelves, general lighting, and curtains.

New Sequoia private rooms in apartment may have Full XL size beds.

What will I need for my room?

Review the Move-In Checklist for a full list of what to bring, and what not to bring. Also, if you bring your own hand truck, your move will be easier.

Please note: Due to safety concerns, halogen lights are not permitted.

Housekeeping services are provided in common areas only. We do not clean your room during the semester. A vacuum is available for use in your room, and you may want to bring a few cleaning supplies like a spray cleaner and sponge.

May I bring my own refrigerator and/or microwave?

Order your refrigerator/microwave unit for your room. Personal microwaves and refrigerators are not allowed in residence-hall rooms, but you can rent an Energy Star combination unit from College* Please check with your roommate(s) to verify if a MicoChill unit is already in the room prior to placing your order. If you don't know your room assignment yet, no problem, just email

*A Micro-fridge is provided in David Blackwell rooms.

Are there any live-in staff members in the residence halls?

Each residence hall complex is coordinated by a Resident Director, a professional staff member who oversees the residential program in their living community. Each hall or area within the Unit is staffed with well-trained and enthusiastic student staff who serve as resident assistants, theme program advisors, program assistants, and security coordinators. See the staff directory for more information. They assist with the residents’ educational and social activities and help maintain community standards. The primary goal of the Residential & Student Service Programs staff is to facilitate the formation of a community that encourages academic success and cultural development of students living in the University residence halls and family housing. This purpose extends beyond merely providing basic needs such as food and shelter; it also encourages the development of active living and learning environments.

What about safety and security in the residence halls?

We are committed to providing a safe and secure environment for students in the residence halls. The Residential Life Health and Safety webpage has details on the services described below, as well as additional tips for staying safe on campus.

The Security Monitor Program is in place at Units 1, 2, and 3 and Martinez Commons. Security Monitors are student staff who have been hired to work in the residence halls. Their main responsibilities include assisting with the safety of the buildings at night, checking in guests and being a resource to residents. Clark Kerr and Foothill (including Stern) are monitored by the UCPD CSO program and have stations at both locations.

BearWALK (Night Escort Service) is available to students by calling 642.WALK. Uniformed, radio-equipped and trained student employees of UCPD, Community Service Officers (CSOs), provide a walking escort to nearby residences, public transportation or parking facilities.

The Night Walking Routes on the central campus have been identified as the most frequented and well-lighted paths to use at night. Students and staff are strongly encouraged to use them and to walk with friends at night. A map showing these routes will be provided at check-in.

Night Safety Shuttles is a shuttle bus service which offers safe transport to and from campus during the evenings in the fall and fall semesters. The Night Safety Map with routes and stop locations will be available at check-in.

What kind of academic support is there for students?

Academic Services Centers exist in Units 1, 2, and 3; Foothill (Hillside, La Loma, and Stern); Clark Kerr Campus and Martinez Commons. Services provided by Academic Services Centers include tutoring, computing centers, faculty programs, courses, and advising. Also available are study strategies workshops, quiet study areas, learning resources and opportunities for student involvement. All computing centers have Macintosh and IBM/PC compatible computers running the latest software applications.

For additional Academic Services Center information, visit their website or call:

  • Unit 1
  • Unit 2 & Martinez Commons
  • Unit 3
  • Foothill and Stern
  • Clark Kerr Campus
What is a Cal 1 Card?

The Cal 1 Card is your campus identification card, used for your meal plan, your library card, your debit card, and many other campus resources. The Cal 1 Card can also be used at off-campus resources as well. If you haven't already gotten your Cal 1 Card, you will need to get it after checking into your unit. For more information about your Cal 1 Card, please visit or email The Cal 1 Card Office will be located at Sproul 212 as of end of Spring Break 2019.

How will I get my meals?

A standard meal plan (Blue Plan) is included in your room and board. Your Cal 1 Card will be automatically loaded on your meal plan, which is your student identification card.

Visit or contact for meal plan information, locations, hours and menus.

How do I set up my internet connection in my room?

Wi-Fi access and in-room, wired connections are provided throughout the residence halls, supported by Student Technology Services.

AirBears2 is the recommended Wi-Fi network for students. To connect to AirBears2, you will first need to create a login key. Find instructions at

To connect to the wired network, just plug your computer into an available Ethernet port and complete the short registration process with Student Technology Services.

Student Technology Services also provides direct technical support and troubleshooting to all residents and can help students with network or technical issues. For information about Student Technology Services and resources, check the Student Technology Services welcome folder (distributed during Move-In) or Student Technology Services staff will also be on site during Move-In for direct assistance to students.

What medical precautions do I need to take before I come to campus?

Each year many students lose valuable class time because of preventable illness. Before you come to Berkeley, there are a number of ways you can plan ahead to avoid or minimize illness. Hepatitis B vaccination is required as a condition of enrollment. The California State Legislature has mandated that first-time enrollees at the University of California who are under 19 years of age on August 26, 2015, provide proof of immunization against Hepatitis B as a condition of enrollment. The vaccine is a series of three doses. To assure compliance and protect your enrollment status, see "Hepatitis B" at and mail the form to the address indicated by the deadline listed online.

Update your other immunizations.

In addition to the standard pediatric immunization series and the Hepatitis B requirement explained above, the CDC Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and the American College Health Association (ACHA) recommend:

  • MMR (measles, mumps, and rubella) - two doses at least one month apart if born after 1956
  • Varicella (chicken pox) - two doses one month apart if you have never had chicken pox or if a blood test does not show immunity
  • Tetanus/diphtheria/acellular pertussis (Tdap) given as a single dose to replace the next booster dose of Tetanus/diphtheria (Td) if the last dose of Td was >10 years earlier.
  • Meningococcal meningitis vaccine - ACHA and the ACIP recommend meningococcal vaccination for college freshmen living in dormitories, other high risk persons and those wishing to reduce their risk of meningococcal disease (see University Health Services (UHS) for more information).

Plan for chronic conditions.

If you have a chronic medical condition such as diabetes, asthma or cancer, you may want to obtain a health summary from your recent health care provider(s) and bring it with you to campus. It will help the staff at UHS, located in the Tang Center, provide the best care possible. We recommend that you select a Tang Center Primary Care Provider and make an appointment soon after your arrival on campus to establish care and share this information.


Bring enough of your ongoing medications for the first month of school and a copy of your prescription. Plan ahead for refills.

Bring a first-aid kit, and make sure it includes a thermometer and ibuprofen or Tylenol.

Know how your medical plan works.

Health insurance is a condition of enrollment for UC students. Cal students are automatically enrolled in the Student Health Insurance Plan (SHIP), and charged the SHIP fee on the campus E-Bill, unless they show that they have comparable coverage through another plan. Students may waive enrollment in SHIP by completing an online waiver form by the deadline listed online. SHIP covers services at UHS as well as emergency room visits, hospitalization, mental health care and off campus specialty services. SHIP also includes dental coverage.

Students who do not have SHIP should carry their insurance card with them at all times, and have easy access to a summary of their plan's benefits.

All students may use UHS services, regardless of whether they have SHIP or another health plan.

For Insurance information call the Student Health Insurance Office at 510.642.5700.

To reach University Health Services, call 510.642.2000 (TTY/TDD for the hearing impaired at 510.643.1233).