⚠   Notice – The latest updates on the evolving COVID-19 policies and resources for the campus community
HOUSING-RELATED FAQs related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) View details
IMPT: Students and their families can still move out during the shelter in place
Fall 2020 FAQs related to the coronavirus (COVID-19) View details

My Room

Keep in mind that, whether you are living in a double or triple, choosing your space in the room should be a negotiated conversation with your roommate(s) and not determined on a "first-come, first-served" basis. During the first few weeks, resident assistants will be working with all students to complete roommate agreements and enhance opportunities for good communication and cooperation. We encourage you to begin conversations with your roommate(s) prior to your arrival.

Rooms are furnished with *extra-long twin single beds and/or bunk beds, desks, chairs, and drawer space for each student. They also include closets, mirrors, wastebaskets, bookshelves, general lighting, and curtains. Unless you are in a single room, you will be sharing with at least one other person. 

*New Sequoia private rooms in apartment may have Full XL size beds.

Order a Microwave and Refrigerator

Personal microwaves and refrigerators are not allowed in residence hall rooms, but you can rent an Energy Star combination unit from College Products.* For students moving into the residence halls spring semester, please check with your roommate(s) to verify if a MicroChill® unit is already in the room prior to placing your order. If you don't know your room assignment yet, no problem, just email cs@collegeproducts.com as soon as you receive it.

*A Micro-fridge is provided in Blackwell Hall rooms.

Green Living

Did you know that over 90 percent of the materials in most student-room waste streams are recyclable or compostable? To reduce the use of natural resources and the number of recyclables or compostables going to our landfills, Residential and Student Service Programs, in conjunction with Campus Recycling and Refuse, initiated an innovative “mini bin” recycling and composting system in your residence hall.

Here’s how your mini bin works:

  • Mixed paper goes into the blue bin
  • Landfill waste goes into the black deskside mini bin

When your mini bin needs to be emptied, bring your landfill and paper recycling to the ground-floor trash/recycling room. Separate them into the appropriate containers. You will also find blue containers for aluminum, plastic, and glass in your shared bathroom under the sink. If your residence hall has hallway trash chutes, separate your landfill and paper recycling appropriately. The environment thanks you!

To compost, take compost material to the ground-floor kitchen — you will see a 64-gallon tote. For more information, please view the recycling flyer

Recycling and reuse are a big part of life on campus. For more details about sustainability and recycling opportunities on campus during move-in and move-out, see the Office of the Chancellor webpage of resources.

Internet Access

Wi-Fi access and in-room, wired connections are available throughout the residence halls, supported by Student Technology Services. Student Technology Services also provides direct technical support to all students living in campus housing. For information on how to access these services, visit studenttech.berkeley.edu

Renters Insurance

On college campuses — where laptops and other valuables are often left unattended in libraries, classrooms, dorm rooms, and study areas — theft can be a real concern. If your laptop or other valuables are stolen, you are responsible for replacing them, not UC Berkeley. That is why Renters Insurance may be a smart investment for college students.

The University of California has a recommended Renters Insurance plan called GradGuard™. Under this plan, any personal items that are stolen or damaged can be replaced at full cost, subject to a $100 deductible. Covered items include clothing, computers/laptops/tablets, smartphones, bikes, game consoles, textbooks, furniture, and more. Renters Insurance also protects you financially for unintentional damage to your University housing or bodily injury for which you are liable. With a $100 deductible and low monthly rates, Renters Insurance is a good fit for students.

For pricing and coverage details, please visit the GradGuard™ website or call 888.541.4853.