⚠   Notice – The latest updates on the evolving COVID-19 policies and resources for the campus community.
Housing Updates for 2020-21 and COVID-19 Response

Single Student Graduate Apartment FAQs

When can I apply for the Single Student Graduate Apartments?

Graduate housing applications open in early February for the following academic year, but there is no ‘deadline’ -- Graduate housing applications are ongoing.

How are applications prioritized for the graduate student apartments?

First year JD law students receive priority in Manville; certain fellowships receive priority in Jackson House, and LLM students receive priority in Shattuck Studios. However, any full-time registered single graduate student (i.e. without a family, dependents, etc.) is eligible and welcome to apply.  The earliest applicants receive priority across all categories.

How do I apply for the Single Student Graduate Apartments?

After accepting your offer of Admissions and obtaining your Calnet ID and password, you can apply for single student graduate apartments via the housing portal: portal.housing.berkeley.edu.  Once you have signed in (using your Calnet credentials and password) and are on the Profile Summary page, choose the Single Student Apartments option.  If you do not see the Single Student Apartments option, it most likely means your student classification is not coded correctly (i.e. you may be incorrectly classified as an undergraduate or as a summer session student).  You can contact graduatestudenthousing@berkeley.edu or call (510) 642-4108 to correct your classification.

Is graduate housing guaranteed?

Graduate housing is not guaranteed. We truly wish we could accommodate everyone, but availability is limited and demand is high.

If I do not receive a housing offer initially, what happens to my application?

All students who do not receive a housing offer will be placed on a wait list.  Additionally, if there are cancellations throughout the year, wait listed students will be contacted about vacancies.

What is the lease duration?

Leases generally begin in early to mid-August and end July 31st with the exception of spaces undergoing a summer refresh or new building construction.  However, you can choose any start date you would like, including a summer start date prior to August.  Do not select Summer Sessions when applying unless you are a Summer LLM.  

Is subleasing permitted?

No, subleasing is not permitted.  Violation of this policy may result in eviction, legal fees, and/or conduct charges.  

Are the Single Student Apartments furnished? Do they include utilities?

Jackson House, Garden Village, Shattuck Studios, and Panoramic are all furnished and include the cost of utilities.  Shattuck Studios limits utility use to $50 avg. per month and Panoramic Berkeley limits utility usage to $100 per month. Overages may result in additional fees on a student’s account. Manville apartments include both unfurnished and furnished single-occupancy studio apartments.PG&E electric utilities are the responsibility of the student (water and trash are the provided by the university).

Do you offer tours?

No, we do not offer tours of the Single Student Graduate Apartments, but you are welcome to view the locations from the outside.

How do I get a rental verification?

For all rental verifications, please send an email to BusOps@berkeley.edu with the subject line "Rental Verification," and a Student Affairs Cashier's team member will process the verification.