Enrolled Summer Visiting Student

Summer 2021 Update: As we await public health guidance, we do not yet know whether we will be able to offer summer housing to visiting students who are enrolled in Summer Sessions. Note that the information below on this page may not be relevant at this time. Please check back in April for more information. 

Plans for student housing are contingent upon continuing evaluation of public health conditions and compliance with state and local public health requirements. Occupancy levels in campus housing for summer 2021 have not yet been determined. The number of spaces available will depend on public health guidance from UC, state, county and local public health officials.

During the summer months, UC Berkeley welcomes students from all over the world! Once enrolled, Summer Sessions Housing is available both in on-campus residence halls and on-campus apartments. Living on campus in the summertime provides terrific benefits including proximity to classes, great food, convenient study spaces and the support of resident assistants and front desk staff. Unique programming and events also help students create a strong sense of community throughout Summer Session. Join us this summer and give yourself the opportunity to excel academically, connect with other students, and have fun!

In order to receive an offer for summer housing, students must complete the online summer housing application. If you're interested in living on campus during your session this summer, please complete your request as early as possible, as housing is limited and available on a first-come, first-served basis.

Eligibility Requirements

You must enroll in Summer Sessions courses before you apply for Summer Sessions Housing. To explore course options and enroll, visit the Summer Sessions website.

Assignments Process

There is no deadline to apply for on-campus housing, however, the housing portal opens February 1st, 2021 and assignments are done on a first-come, first-serve basis. 

How to Apply

Visiting students applying on their own must register as summer students and enroll in courses through the Summer Sessions Office. Once your registration is approved by the Summer Sessions Office, you will receive an email with instructions on how to set up your CalNet account. You can then use your CalNet credentials to apply for housing on our online housing application.


Step 1: After obtaining your CalNet credentials, go to the online application home page.

Step 2: In the top left corner, click on the "Visit University Log In" link.

Step 3: Enter your CalNet ID and passphrase to log in.

Step 4: Select Summer 2021 as the housing term for which you are applying.

Step 5: Follow each step of the online application, selecting “Save & Continue” at the bottom of each page.

Step 6: Once you have completed Phase 1, your application has been submitted and is under review. You will receive an email regarding the status of your summer housing application within 7 business days of submission.

Step 7: Be sure to check your berkeley.edu or the housing portal every few days for an offer.

Roommate Requests

Individual applicants may note specific roommate preference(s) by completing the "Manage Roommate" step of the Phase 1 portion of the online application.Roommate preferences must be mutual, students must be of the same gender, and must accept a contract for the same session and room type, in order for the request to be considered by the Summer Sessions Housing Office.If your housing accommodations are arranged for you by your University, registration center, or agent, you must communicate your roommate preferences to your liaison as early as possible, in order for the request to be considered by the Summer Sessions Housing Office.

Meal Plan

The Summer Sessions Housing contract includes room and board, with a Standard Meal Plan. The contract may not be purchased without the meal plan. More information regarding meal plans will be provided on February 1st, 2021.


Visiting summer students are eligible for the following housing locations based on the session they are enrolled in:

Session A/AD/B

  • Martinez Commons 
  • ​Unit 1 
  • Garden Village

Session C

  • Blackwell 
  • Martinez Commons 
  • Garden Village
  • Panoramic Berkeley
  • New Sequoia

Session D

  • Unit 1
  • Garden Village
  • Martinez Commons
Receiving Offer


Step 1: After receiving your housing offer, review the Terms & Conditions and accept your offer.

Step 2: You will be required to pay the $300 advance payment in order to hold your space

Stept 3: Visiting summer students are required to pay their housing bill in full by the deadline.

If you miss your deadline to accept your contract offer, there is no guarantee that the space will remain available. If you miss your advance payment deadline or fail to pay your housing bill in full by the deadline, your housing contract will be cancelled.


Full payment is REQUIRED for all visiting summer session students prior to move in. Students will not receive their room key until full payment has been received.



You are responsible for cleaning your own room. You may borrow a vacuum cleaner from your Resident Assistant or the Front Desk. Daily housekeeping services are provided, except on administrative holidays, for the common areas: lounges, hallways, stairwells and community bathrooms.

Laundry & Vending machines 

Coin-operated laundry machines are available in each summer housing location. 


Students can participate in the Linen Exchange program and purchase a linen rental packet for the duration of their summer session. Linen packet includes 2 sheets, blanket, top blanket, pillow, pillowcase, body towel, and face towel. 

During their stay, students can switch out their dirty linens for new ones once a week.

Linen Rental Pricing:

8-12 weeks = $85 total
3-6 weeks = $60 total

Room Furnishings

Your room is furnished with an extra-long bed, 36" x 80" mattress, drapes, desk, chair, wastebasket, closet, and shelving. Please leave all items in your room when you check out. You will be billed for any missing items after your departure.

What to Bring

You might want to bring these items to the residence halls:

A government-issued photo I.D.

Linen (bed sheets)



A cell phone 

An alarm clock

Clothes hangers

Laundry detergent

Prohibited Items

Personal microwaves and refrigerators are not allowed in UC Berkeley residence hall rooms. 

Students who require a refrigerator unit for a medical condition or holiday observance are responsible for submitting an accommodation request to summerhousing@berkeley.edu.

The following items are not permitted in the residence halls:

Pets, waterbeds, weapons of any kind, illegal drugs, candles, incense, flame-lit lamps, barbecues, halogen lamps, cooking equipment, your own microwaves and refrigerators.

Cal 1 Card Requirement

Students are required to submit the required documents online 

The Cal 1 Card is used to access your building and meal plan. 

To obtain your Cal 1 Card you need:

Your 10-digit UC Berkeley Student Identification Number (SID)

One of the following forms of identification: a current state ID, Driver's License or passport

Use your Cal 1 Card to:

- gain access into your residence halls

- swipe into the dining halls/use your meal points

Visit the Cal 1 Card Office if your card is damaged or demagnetized.

Location: 212 Sproul Hall, Berkeley CA.

Hours: Monday through Friday 9:00AM to 4:30PM

Replacement fee: $25

Technology Services

We know that access to computers during your stay is critical to academic success. All residents are eligible to use the Unit 1 Academic Center, featuring multiple PCs and Macintosh Workstations supporting popular software (i.e., Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.). These computers are also installed with a link to the campus library catalogs, email, and the Internet.

  • The Academic Center is located in the Central Building. Staff are available to answer questions and troubleshoot problems. You can sign up for a free Academic Center Account to use the computers.

  • Color ink jet printing is available for a nominal fee.

  • In-Room Internet Connections

    • A Student Technology Services welcome folder will be distributed to all residents at check-in. It will include information about getting online through Student Technology Services' services and support.

  • All residents are eligible for free wireless Internet connection through Student Technology Services. Student Technology Services provides wireless coverage to registered computers in resident rooms, lounges, and common areas. You will receive a Student Technology Services welcome folder during move-in, which will detail how to get connected and how to contact support services. Student Technology Services supports wireless internet connections for computers running Windows XP/Vista and Macintosh OS 10.4 or higher. Windows 95/98/Me and Mac OS 10.3 and below are not allowed on the network as they do not meet campus minimum security standards.

  • Security and Other Requirements

    • To connect to the network, you will need your CalNet login and passphrase for authentication.

  • All computers connected to the campus network MUST meet campus minimum security standards which require:

    • Updated antivirus software

    • Automatic software patching (e.g. Windows Update)

    • A personal firewall

    • A strong administrator password

    • For detailed information about the requirements and how to meet them, please visit Student Technology Services' BeSecure page.

  • Technical Support

    • Technical support is available in the following ways:

      • Helpdesk phone line: 510.642.HELP (4357)

      • Helpdesk email: sts-help@berkeley.edu

      • In-person Residential Computing Consultant: Make an appointment through Student Technology Services to see an in-person consultant during office hours.


Students are required to move out on the specified move out date listed on their contract.

No late stays or extensions will be approved. Students will need to find alternative housing outside of the contract dates if their flight arrives after the move out date.

No Smoking Policy

UC Berkeley is committed to providing a healthy, smoke-free environment for students, faculty, and staff. Accordingly, no smoking is permitted in student rooms or inside buildings, including lounges, balconies and breezeways, and stairways. Smoking is only permitted outside in designated areas.

Cancellation Policy

To request a cancellation to your contract, you must provide written email correspondence to (summerhousing@berkeley.edu) including your full name, Student ID Number, and reason for cancellation. Cancellations are NOT guaranteed and the resident will be liable for room and board fees until a replacement is found and/or the request is approved by the Summer Sessions Housing department. Please be sure to review the cancellation policy outlined in the Terms and Conditions of Residence.